Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Road Trip

The new Tundra can use E85 Fuel. I know... I tried it. I am in Winnemucca Nevada, and drove the US95 from Boise - that's one boring 4 hour drive.

What's E85? ... it's a fuel with a mix of up to 85% ethanol (corn alcohol), petroleum (gasoline) and other ingredients.  It's practically US grown car/truck fuel (I am sure we can import corn too). ... Now I won't get into the debate of whether is wise or not to put "food" in my truck's fuel tank... when corn is supposedly quite hard on the soil it's grown on and the bigger part of this world is starving (how could I do a debate when I'm the only one writing on this blog?)

Just the Experience. The truck seems to run with a bit more power - but uses a lot more fuel. Instead of 19mpg at 65mph, on 95gas, it will give about 15mpg at the same speed on E85.

The fuel was $2.40, while the 95gas was $2.90. If you do the math, it doesn't seem price competitive (it might cost a whole outrageous 2 more dollars per tank of fuel (for the same distance traveled) - on E85 - but it's local fuel and puts out less toxic fumes like benzene, (more of other toxic gases.

In the end, until we won't run our cars on Hydrogen only, produced using only solar and wind power, we'll never be truly green.

And going from 28mpg in the Highlander to 15mpg in the Tundra shows that I care about the technology more than I do about the smog you all inhale.

For now, there are 3 gas stations that provide E85 in Utah (one in Clearfield and two in Provo and Orem). Minessota has 307 fuel station that provide E85.

I know... E85 is a trick liberals want us to fall for ... like forcing the car companies to make efficient cars (that's would save you thousands a year) and forcing you to use light bulbs that will save you hundreds in a year. But there are no liberals in Utah (not right now) but even tomorrow, there won't be enough.

No comments: